1) Solve statics problem to determine applied loads on all components based on requirements
– bearings, driveshaft, gears, …
2) Try using a pillow block by for the bearing supports. The pillow block couples out driveshaft
bending into equal and opposite transverse shears, so the rolling element bearings do not see
any moment loads. Or you could also size several journal bearing supports to see the difference
in complexity and weight.
3) Determine loading diagrams – shears, moments, torsion, axial loads versus location along
driveshaft and at bearing & gear locations.
4) Use appropriate stress theory to translate applied loads into a stress state at critical locations
5) Use Mohrs circle equations to determine maximum principal and shear stresses
6) Guess a material to use and size the components – pick bearings and gears from a catalog
based on static loads and fatigue life requirements
7) Use DET – Von-Mesis, or other static failure theory, to determine static margins of safety at
critical locations using some factor of safety relative to yield strength
8) Apply some empirical stress concentration factors based on manufacturing processes,
geometry, surface finishes, etc.
9) Calculate fatigue life of the components for some fatigue life criteria
10) If any components (gears, driveshaft, bearings, pillow blocks, etc.) do not meet criteria,
then resize and redo analysis
11) Select an AC motor to drive the system.
12) Perform detailed analysis of the spur and bevel gear tooth stress analysis – time permitting
– if desired
13) Optimize the design to reduce weight by taking out weight where not necessary – redo
14) Perhaps estimate cost of system by gathering cost information on components selected
from catalogs… or a trade-off analysis on cost versus weight…
15) Perhaps do FEA analysis using computer software like ProE, time permitting, if desired.
16) You could modify the design to include a motor, springs, or other mechanical elements if
I am a Professional academic writer Expert in Accounting & Finance, Advanced Statistics, MS Excel, Management Sciences, Mathematics & Matlab, Engineering, Technical writing & Dissertation writing. I have understand the Mai multe
2 freelanceri licitează în medie 182$ pentru acest proiect
Greetings! Hi my name is Uday, i am professional product Designer with 17+ years of experience, iam interested to work with you/your organisation. please have a look at my profile if you interested please contact me, Mai multe